As teachers address the Common Core State Standrads they will have to make an instructional shift to focus on Argumentative writing versus persuasive writing.
Argumentative writing requires a focus on evidence and not simply the emotional pull of persuasive writing. This does not mean, however, that persuasive techniques will not be used in argumentative writing.
In this tutorial I discuss how to use current events and NEU.Annotate to model, teach, and assess students ability to evaluate persuasive techniques.
Steps to Teaching Persuasive Techniques in Argumentative Writing.
1. Choose a current event article with an active discussion (the more vitriol the better). Take a screenshot. To take a screenshot you hit the sleep button and the home button at the same time.
2. Add a second page. Cluck on the arrow icon. Then click on the gear icon. Choose add a page after. I would pick three pages so you can use the I do (model), We do (guided practice), You do (indpendent practice) model.
3. Find a persuasive technique. Using the drawing feature or the arrow point students to the technique.
4. Add a text box identifying the technique.
5. Move the text box above your arrow.