CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.3 Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.3a Orient the reader by establishing a situation and introducing a narrator and/or characters; organize an event sequence that unfolds naturally.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.3b Use dialogue and description to develop experiences and events or show the responses of characters to situations.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.3c Use a variety of transitional words and phrases to manage the sequence of events.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.3d Use concrete words and phrases and sensory details to convey experiences and events precisely.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.3e Provide a conclusion that follows from the narrated experiences or events.
In this task we are going to adapt the Smarter Balance sample items for Tall Tales.
In order to complete the performance task, students
1. Gather, select, and analyze information in a series of sources
2. Write a narrative effectively demonstrating
• Narrative strategies (dialogue, sensory or concrete details,
• Author’s craft appropriate to purpose (detailing characters.
Users will use the iPad and an ToonTastic to create a tall tale.
Step One Complete a Read Aloud of a Tall Tale
1. Find a Tall Tale Online
2. Read using an IWB App.
3. Focus in on three elements: Character, Problem/Solution, and Exaggertions.
Step Two: Read an Informational Source About Tall Tales
1. Identify the exaggerations.
2. Identify the problems and solutions.
Step Three: Have Partners complete a Buddy Read.
1. Add a link to another tall tale. Share it with the class.
2. Have students open a Tall Tale Graphic Organizer.
3. Students complete the Worksheet and email teacher, or upload it to Drive, Dropbox, etc.
Step Four: Have Students Plan a Tall Tale using same worksheet
Step Five: Create A Tall Tall Animation Using ToonTastic.